Sunday, February 3, 2008

It's 2008 Tax Season People, File those 2007 Taxes...YOURSELF!!!

If you're like me: All you got is a W2 and nothing complicated about your 2007 taxes, don't spend unnecessary money. My biggest pet peeve is the people that blow $200+ dollars in UNCOMPLICATED tax returns. Well, um...you're smart enough to surf the web-otherwise you wouldn't be here. So, you're smart enough to be SMART about your taxes.

1st, You don't have to use the free tax CD you got as junk mail. You don't have to buy the software that you see in the aisles at Wal-Mart. You don't have to have your friend's "super smart" accountant do your taxes for you. You don't have to be lured by the kookey looking guy dressed in the Statue of Liberty with a big sign saying "file your taxes with us" in the street corner. You have free tax software right here-in the world wide web, the internet. If you can read and follow directions, you can do your own taxes and get your money within days. Even better, you can do it for FREE!!!

Where can I do my uncomplicated taxes...for FREE?

Well, if you made more than $54,000 in 2007, you can do your taxes here at TaxAct.com

For the rest of you that made less than $54,000 in 2007, go to Irs.gov and click on Free File. It will then give you a list of all the websites that will do your taxes for free. My recommendations are: taxcut, turbotax, taxact (I have had the pleasure of using all of these sites through the years)

VERY IMPORTANT: In order for your income taxes and/or efiling to be free, you must get to these sites via the irs.gov website.

My personal information will be on these sites. Are they safe?

Yes, they are. All these sites are encrypted so they are just as safe as if you were paying your utility bill online with a credit card. Don't worry!

I just feel more comfortable for an accountant to do it for me. I'll probably screw something up and/or I don't trust the total this software will give me.

Don't think this way. It is so dummy proof, it will catch your mistake if you make any. It just asks you questions, and you answer them. No calculator necessary. I personally even think it's more accurate than that accountant you've been using for so many years that will probably accidentally omit a tax break or deduction because he's so old he's about to fall over and die.

How soon will I get my money?

If you efile (I recommend that), it will be deposited in your bank account within 7-14 days. (So much better than paying $200 to HR Block, if you ask me!)

So, in summary, this method of doing your taxes is so dummy proof, I think even my dad can do this and he's so anti internet. You can do it too. Give it a try this year. You'll thank me later.

0 comments: